First job, get the clutch off. After removing the 6 nuts, top pressure plate and springs it was a puzzle.
There were 2 semi circular clips holding the clutch plates in position, after removal the plates came off easily.
All I have to do know is get the basket off, where's that manual when you need it?
This is what I was faced with on the other side, one rusty seized alternator rotor.
Soaking the centre and applying a 3 legged puller removed it, well the rotor bit anyhow.
I was left with the centre cam bit stuck solid on the crankshaft.
Using a hacksaw I cut down the side if the offending piece and then applied heat.Lots of heat and
a pair of tyre levers saw the cam leave the crankshaft 'faster than a speeding bullet!'
This was the result, I suffered a direct hit in the right eye which hurt like.....
A visit to A&E and it was confirmed that I had damaged the cornea. A large cut in the upper surface
was the reason I couldn't see and the nice lady doctor gave me these
and instructions not to drive for 7-10 days. No work then, maybe I should buy some safety goggles...
After the mishap at the weekend I decided to be a little more safety minded. so..
To split the cases I first needed to remove the brake actuator on the pedal shaft. This is held in
place by a circlip and German engineering, the tolerance is so close that the cap section needed
persuading to slide up the shaft. Once removed the rest of the mechanism came off easily.
Next job was to split the cases,
the third case lifted off smoothly revealing more superb craftsmanship. The Germans certainly
new how to make quality engines! A close inspection and, well, the drive gear on the
crank shaft lifted up, revealing the 2 steel balls used to secure it in position,
this is how the brake cap was held as well, and another look at what needs doing next to get the crankshaft out.
The interesting triple wheel gear cluster is attached to the main drive shaft which has the clutch basket
on the outside end. Clutch basket off next then, when a suitable tool arrives to persuade it to leave
the shaft. I ordered a tool that arrived and was put to good use. It's for splitting universal joints on
car steering racks, but in my case it was used to raise the clutch basket. The knurled bit in
the middle is a taper fit that after heating and lifting with the new tool came off.
Next was to remove the clutch basket, bad news there in that there's a roller bearing inside the sprocket
that seems to have collapsed. I'll look into that later. Once the clutch was off it was out with the
last 2 screws and start to split the crankcases. As the halves came apart the first views
of the crankshaft weren't good.
In fact the whole crank housing is pretty dire, I seem to recall something like this before...
The extent of the rust and corrosion is bad, but we'll see where we go now..